Smokey Winter Baked Beans
This will make you never want to open a can of baked beans again
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150 gram bacon rashers diced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small leek trimmed and chopped fine, white only
- 1 small red capsicum finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 400g cannellini beans cans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce (65ml)
- 1 cup passata (250ml)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (125no)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- sea salt flakes to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- basil leaves to garnish
- Heat oil in a 2.1 litre Dutch oven on medium. Add bacon and brown sugar. Sauté for a couple of minutes, tossing constantly until sugar is caramelised and bacon starts browning.
- Add the garlic, leek and capsicum. Sauté for a couple of minutes on medium heat until leek softens. Add vinegar and mix well.
- Add cannellini beans, worcestershire sauce, passata, chicken stock, paprika and oregano. Mix well. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, garnish with basil leaves and serve hot with crusty sourdough bread.
Taken from " Enliven your mornings with Nespresso"