I have done this a couple of times on the Akorn and it is a really delicious roast chicken that tends to stay deliciously moist.
BBQ Spatchcock Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 tbsp all purpose rub
- 2 tbsp rice bran oil or similar
- Light the Akorn Kamado and setup for a stable temperature of around 190 C
- Cut the chicken, on the side opposite the breast, along both sides of the spine
- Place the chicken breast side up and give a good press (like CPR) to flatten the chicken against the board
- Dry off the chicken skin as much as possible and then lightly coat with the rice bran oil. Once completed coat the chicken thoroughly with the rub of your choice
- Place the Kamado on the grill, breast side up. Close the Kamado and cook until an internal temperature of 82 C is achieved. This typically takes about an hour for an average family size chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
The cooking time and temperature suits cooking roast veges on the top rack whilst the chicken is cooking. Add wood chunks to the fire if you wish for a more smokey taste.