Ginger Beer Boiled Fruit Cake
This fruit cake has a long, slow baking time, but you can skip the lengthy fruit soaking process by boiling the dried fruit in ginger beer, which means the cake can be ready to eat the same day you start.
- 1 kg mixed dried fruit
- 1.5 cup ginger beer 375ml
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 250 g butter
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- Place dried fruit, ginger beer, sugar and butter in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and stir until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 140C. Grease a 20cm cake tin and line the base and sides with 2 layers of baking paper.
- Stir through eggs and fold through flour. Pour into prepared tin and bake for 2.5 hours until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cover with foil if the top is browning too quickly.
Makes a 20cm cake.